Thursday, November 15, 2012

Celebrating 20 Years of Peace Corps Ukraine

On November 15th, 1992 the first group of Peace Corps Volunteers arrived to serve in Ukraine. I can't even imagine what it was like at that time, just after the fall of the Soviet Union. But I am proud say that I am part of the 40th group of volunteers here, serving 20 years later!

reposted from the Peace Corps Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/peacecorps. 
In honor of the anniversary, here are a few of my photos from around Ukraine! As my time in Ukraine is winding down, its kind of sad to reflect back over the 2 years and look at photos that I took so long ago. Its incredible to think that I've already been here for 26 months, and that I'll be leaving this country to head home in just a few weeks...
St. Sophia church in Kyiv, as seen from the bell tower. January 2011
Arriving into Boriyspol airport in Kyiv. September 2010
The road sign with distances to major cities around the world in Odessa. May 2012
My 5th grade students presenting their group project about a school newspaper. October 2012
The view of my building (on the right) from the street. November 2012
And now life is calling and I don't know where I'll head next, but Peace Corps will always be the toughest job that I'll ever love! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;